Translate

Saturday, September 26, 2015

My Amazing Electric Clock Radio




For my fourteenth birthday, I asked my parents to gift me with a clock radio, a specific model; it is pictured above.  I took a big chance in asking because you did not dare ask for too much from them. But come my birthday there it was.  That was almost 50 years ago.  It has been with me from house to house, city to city, and state to state and always is to my left on a bedside night table.  It's amazing because it still works, perfectly.   

My AM/FM clock radio is ancient technology - transistors.  But when I plug it in and turn it on, it works.  For almost 50 years, this antiquated radio has entertained me and always got me up and out of bed on time.  And, the mechanical on/off/alarm switch is just as firm today as when I first turned it on.  Of course the sound is not high definition or even simple stereo, but it is crystal clear, and loud when I want it to be.  This amazing radio just works and I truly expect it to work long after I am gone from this life; it will make a fine gift for one of my grandchildren after I pass on.  But this radio is not and cannot be the totality of my legacy.

The older I get, the more I strive to leave a lasting legacy that my family will be proud to inherit.  And it is not easy.  As you age, the tendency is to slack off and relax.  Constantly I remind and push myself to positively excel.  The big question, Terry have you done enough?  Will my words and deeds be praised by those left behind?  Will my words and deeds delight my Ancestors?  Or will I fail my living family and Ancestors?  I don't know; that's why I must keep moving forward and striving to be the best I can be.  So what about you?  Are you satisfied with yourself?

And you thought I was going to rant about some kid in Texas who ripped the guts out of a circa 70's Tandy radio, stuffed it in a pencil box and claimed it as his very own.  Nope.

                                               Copyright @2015 Terry Unger  






    

   

Fighting Giants

 Believing that we can control nature, getting nature to bend to our will is foolhardy.  We are a part of the very thing we seek to control....