Translate

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Caught In the Middle....Again



I really hate to be the referee in an argument between friends; both expect you to take their side.  And either way, you lose.  In my opinion, the best thing to do is to avoid these spats.  However as a voter, I am in the middle of another four year spat and and cannot avoid my civic duty.  Yes, in the middle of another argument, but not between friends, political rivals.  And in truth, how many politicians are the voter's friend?  In a few days the general election will be here and making the choice, at least for me  is done.  And that choice was made by not considering the candidate's good points but rather, choosing who I think will present the least harm for me and my country.  And, that was tough.  An incumbent has a past record of doing some things that can be sugar-coated beyond recognition.  The challenger takes pot shots at the incumbent's record in the hope that that sugar will melt with the heat of his barrages.  And all the while the challenger has the fend of attacks concerning his personal life.  Personally, I don't give a hoot about what the candidate does in his bedroom or what religion he follows.  My concern is how well he will govern.  What's so sad?  The candidates are not the best America has to offer.  This is also true on the state and local levels.  Money, yours or someone else's, is a major factor in not just who runs for elective office, but also who wins.  And, what must be included in this process is how much of your soul you are willing to sell to get elected.  If you look at the candidate's work experience before running for elective office, you will find that many of them are lawyers.  Somehow, I don't think that our Founding Fathers, the framers of the Constitution, ever dreamed that our country would ever be run by a bunch of reincarnated used car salesmen and snake-oil hucksters.

                                                 Copyright @2012 Terry Unger             

Fighting Giants

 Believing that we can control nature, getting nature to bend to our will is foolhardy.  We are a part of the very thing we seek to control....